Saturday, August 6, 2011

Enjoying children

This baby has his first ear infection. He was awake an entire night screaming and restless. It was miserable and we thought he was just teething. But the next morning, I touched his ear and he winced. We had already decided to take the kids to the lake for the day, so while the big kids swam, we took turns holding Cal. He is such a great baby! Then home and the doctors and off to get meds filled. That's when I encountered the annoying woman at the grocery store.
Her, yelling at her son and daughter to move so I could squeeze by with my cart: Get out of the way! She's trying to get by! (looking at my baby) Oh, enjoy this stage while you can!
Me: oh, I am. I have four.
Her: wow. You're brave.
Her kids were good! She just had two! She didn't have to say that in front of them, implying that their ages were hard and they were being a bother. She also made me think of my own kids and how often they find things to argue over. But when I'm out with my kids, people comment on how well behaved they are. I love every stage of parenting these kids. It gets harder, the older they get, the more you have and the more busy their schedules become...like, soccer starting today.....sigh....until November!!
But, enjoy every bit of it. Not just when they sit quietly in a shopping cart. Enjoy the six year old jumping up and down in the living room yelling: Gnomes! Gnomes! Gnomes! Until mike asks him to stop. :)
Enjoy the eleven year old, coming home from soccer with sweaty hair and a flushed face, asking to play on this iPad that I'm currently using! Enjoy the eight month old who is as happy as a clam despite refusing to sleep today, and the eight year old who was overjoyed at unlocking some character called Wolf on smash brothers brawl this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment